Thursday, January 5, 2012

The thrill of climbing

When I was a kid I remember wanting to climb anything and everything. At my sister's softball games I would climb the metal backstop. I remember getting in trouble at my family's Christmas for climbing my aunt and uncle's tall wooden staircase... eventually getting stuck and needing help getting down. I was and probably will always be a 'tomboy' (in other words a girl who exhibits activities that are often characteristic of a boy - Wikipedia) hmmm... I was proud to be a tomboy. I played everything from soccer, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and softball and have always been extremely competitive in sports and life. After graduating from college and having a successful collegiate soccer career I found myself yearning for something to participate in and more importantly find something to do in order to stay active and in shape.
Climbing in New Zealand

Rock climbing has always been something I enjoyed. I had climbed various times while traveling in Norway, New Zealand and working a 30 foot climbing wall at my summer job in high school. I was determined to get back into climbing. My boyfriend at the time (now my fiance) purchased my first pair of climbing shoes and harness and I was set. Now I needed to find someone to climb with. I took a 7 week basic climbing course at my college and was really excited to challenge myself once moving to the Cities. I started working for The North Face Store and was motivated to explore the climbing scene in Minneapolis and St. Paul. John (my fiance) eventually gave in to my passion and bought his shoes and harness and we went to the gym together.
Australian Repelling in Norway

The thrill of climbing comes when you can overcome the mental challenges you mind plays with you and the physical demands and fears involved in conquering a move or a route. It's exhilarating to work on a route for a few days and finally be able to reach the top. Once you can get past the initial soreness that comes with climbing in the back, the forearms, the fingers, and the hand calluses it's exciting to push yourself. There is always a harder route or a bigger challenge.

Edmund Hillary, Everest first ascent climber said, "You climb for the hell of it". You climb because it's there.... it's a physical and mental challenge. Like climbing as in life, you fall, get back up and keep trying until you reach the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment